Re: High availability management tool.

From: Adalberto Caccia <adacaccia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hüseyin Demir <demirhuseyinn(dot)94(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rodriguez Pablo A <rodriguez(dot)a(dot)pablo(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High availability management tool.
Date: 2021-04-01 09:23:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

In my experience (4 Postgresql cluster 2 pg12 in test and 2 pg10 in
production, 3 of them in Kubernetes, one on discrete VM's), Patroni is
severely biased towards AWS-based containers, so it was not an option for
my standalone K8s clusters managed by Rancher and based on OCI and
DigitalOcean VM's.
In my tries, Patroni was continuously creating and destroying the first
replica, because of a failed connection to itself, on the very same
endpoint you found successful some log lines above.
Investigating the issue further, I've noticed that was not an issue in AWS,
but nobody had been testing it outside of AWS, at least at that moment
(October 2020).

So, to make a long story short, if you're on AWS you can try Patroni,
otherways I would recommend maybe bitnami-repmgr, which in my tries was
very close to working in a real scenario. (I'm still living without an
auto-failover solution, at the moment).

Adalberto