does dml operations load the blocks to the shared buffers ?

From: Mariel Cherkassky <mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: does dml operations load the blocks to the shared buffers ?
Date: 2019-01-10 08:06:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hey,
It is clear that when we query some data, if that data isnt in the shared
buffers pg will go bring the relevant blocks from the disk to the shared
buffers. I wanted to ask if the same logic works with
dml(insert/update/delete). I'm familiar with the writing logic, that the
checkpointer is the process that writing the data changes into the data
files during every checkpoint and that the commit write the changes from
the wal buffers to to the wal files. I wanted to ask about a situation
where we run dmls and that data isnt available in the shared buffers.