Re: New partitioning - some feedback

From: Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New partitioning - some feedback
Date: 2017-07-11 01:34:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Also, there seems to be at least some preference
> for excluding partitions by default from the \d listing.

As another user of partitions I'll chime in and say that would be very
nice! On the other hand, with pre-10 partitions you do see all the
child tables with `\d`, so showing declarative partitions seems more
consistent with the old functionality.

On the third hand with pre-10 partitions I can put the child tables
into a separate schema to de-clutter `\d`, but I don't see any way to
do that with declarative partitions. Since there is no workaround it
makes it a bit more important for partitions not to be so noisy.

Paul