Re: GiST support for UUIDs

From: Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST support for UUIDs
Date: 2015-06-25 15:38:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Paul A Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com> writes:
>> I'm interested in adding GiST support for the UUID column type
>> . . . . So I'm curious where this change would go?
> btree_gist, I'd think

Okay, thank you for your answer! I was worried about the effects of
having btree_gist depend on uuid-ossp. People won't have to say
`CREATE EXTENSION "uuid-ossp"` if they only want `btree_gist`, right?

> the overhead of an extension version bump will probably
> exceed the useful payload :-(

Sorry to put more work on your plate. :-) I'm trying to pick something
easy to get my feet wet.

Yours,
Paul