Re: BUG #14849: jsonb_build_object doesn't like VARIADIC calls very much

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #14849: jsonb_build_object doesn't like VARIADIC calls very much
Date: 2017-10-18 15:47:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> On 16 October 2017 at 02:08, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

>> Thanks for the patch. Everything looks fine, I just have one question -
>> maybe it makes sense to put this pattern `if (variadic) {/*...*/}` into a
>> separate function? Because from what I see it's basically one part of
code
>> (I didn't spot any difference) repeated four times for every function.
>
> The json/jsonb calls have one difference though. For jsonb, arguments
> with unknown type are enforced to text, which is not the case of json,
> and we don't want to change that behavior.

Oh, actually what I meant is to put into a separate function only the first
branch of this condition, i.e. when `variadic` is true. But in general I
don't
really have strong opinion about that, so if you think that this repetition
is
not a problem, then fine.

> There is a common place for JSON-common code in jsonapi.c, but jsonapi.h
is
> wanted as light-weight (see its set of headers), so moving things there is
> incorrect as well IMO.

Hm...did you mean `jsonfuncs.c` and `jsonapi.h`? It seems to me, that this
potential function (to handle `variadic` case) would not really pollute it.