Re: Index Skip Scan

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, munro(at)ip9(dot)org, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Index Skip Scan
Date: 2018-10-09 13:59:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 15:43, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I tested last patch and I have some notes:
>
> 1.
>
> postgres=# explain select distinct a10000 from foo;
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | QUERY PLAN |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Unique (cost=0.43..4367.56 rows=9983 width=4) |
> | -> Index Skip Scan using foo_a10000_idx on foo (cost=0.43..4342.60 rows=9983 width=4) |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> (2 rows)
>
> In this case Unique node is useless and can be removed

Just to clarify which exactly version were you testing? If
index-skip-fallback.patch,
then the Unique node was added there to address the situation when
ndistinct is underestimated, with an idea to fallback to original plan
(and to tolerate that I suggested to use Unique, since we don't know
if fallback will happen or not during the planning).

> 2. Can be nice COUNT(DISTINCT support) similarly like MIN, MAX suppport

Yep, as far as I understand MIN/MAX is going to be the next step after this
patch will be accepted.

> 3. Once time patched postgres crashed, but I am not able to reproduce it.

Maybe you have at least some ideas what could cause that or what's the possible
way to reproduce that doesn't work anymore?