Re: jsonb_set array append hack?

From: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb_set array append hack?
Date: 2015-09-21 16:13:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I would expect some kind of error. We're trying to address a position in
an array, and we're instead passing a key. If it completes successfully,
the chances are it isn't what the user intended.

Thanks for the explanation. So, basically, it should be like this, am I
right?

postgres=# SELECT jsonb_set(
'{"name": "Joe", "vehicle_types": ["car", "van"]}'::jsonb,
'{vehicle_types, nonsense}',
'"motorcycle"', true);
ERROR: path element at the position 2 is not an integer

On 20 September 2015 at 23:50, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:

> On 20 September 2015 at 16:17, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, but I'm not sure, what behavior is expected in this case?
>> Right now the following logic was implemented:
>> "we trying to set an element inside an array, but we've got a
>> non-integer path item
>> ("nonsense" in this particular case), so we're going to add a new
>> element at the end of array by default"
>>
>> If it's wrong, should we refuse to perform such kind of operations, or
>> should we replace
>> "vehicle_type": ["car", "van"]
>> "vehicle_type: {"nonsense": "motorcycle"}
>> ?
>>

> (please bottom-post)
>
> I would expect some kind of error. We're trying to address a position in
> an array, and we're instead passing a key. If it completes successfully,
> the chances are it isn't what the user intended.
>
> Thom

Attachment Content-Type Size
non_integer_in_path.patch application/octet-stream 2.3 KB