Re: Hstore array implementation.

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ronan Dunklau <rdunklau(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hstore array implementation.
Date: 2011-10-06 10:16:51
Lists: psycopg

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Ronan Dunklau <rdunklau(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I have implemented an Hstore array type converter for psycopg2.
> I thought it may be of interest to you, even if I'm afraid I may have
> forgotten things in my implementation.
> You can look at the patch here:
> https://github.com/Kozea/psycopg/commit/60fd7ecf833f1e56a41cca7b5700dea2add75091

Hi Ronan,

thank you for the effort. But I've already added generic array support
for psycopg. Or, better, the support was there, but was available only
in C and was not exposed to Python.

I've added the function new_array_type(), which is similar to
new_type: it takes a type caster for a single item and a list of oids
and creates a new type caster to parse array of the same types: see
<http://initd.org/psycopg/docs/extensions.html#database-types-casting-functions>.
With this extension, now hstore and composite types casters support
arrays too. I think fog hasn't reviewed these patched yet so things
are not set in stone, but exposing the internal array handling system
to python seems a good idea. They should be released in the upcoming
2.4.3.

I'm sorry for having had your time wasted: we had a ticket open on the
feature (http://psycopg.lighthouseapp.com/projects/62710/tickets/66)
and I'd closed it two weeks ago. I was probably not enough as
communication (but then, I don't know if you approached the problem
because you found the ticket or you needed it for yourself).

Thank you anyway!

-- Daniele