Re: [snafu] isolation-level change in 2.4.2

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)dndg(dot)it>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, psycopg ML <psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [snafu] isolation-level change in 2.4.2
Date: 2011-12-15 12:55:57
Lists: psycopg

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)dndg(dot)it> wrote:
> Marko, Daniele,
>
> can you both pull from my devel and report any regressions/errors? Marko,
> please check this changeset fixes the problems you reported.

First note: even if currently postgres behaviour is the same at levels
read committed and read uncommitted, they are still two distinct
levels:

test=> set default_transaction_isolation = 'read uncommitted';
SET
test=> SHOW default_transaction_isolation;
default_transaction_isolation
-------------------------------
read uncommitted
(1 row)

I think psycopg shouldn't assume the two being equivalent, otherwise
in the event they will become different in future postgres versions we
would have older psycopg version not supporting them. Doing it now
doesn't cost anything.

I've also just noted that the check for pg version not supporting
levels UNC/REPREAD is in two different points (unfortunately
set_session and set_isolation_level have no common code path).

I've made a patch against these points, but I'll be able to run the
complete test grid only this evening.

-- Daniele