Re: Range Type Support

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Range Type Support
Date: 2012-09-18 17:07:21
Lists: psycopg

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using range types in an application I am writing and am planning on writing some mapping to have support with built-in Python ranges, and some simple extensions for dealing with date ranges. I am going to write this on my own regardless, but is anyone working on this for psycopg2? If not, I would be willing to contribute the code I am working on.

What is a "built-in Python range"? You mean some Python object to be
written with the same semantics of a postgres range? (subtype,
handling of boundaries, empty singleton).

> I was planning on writing the adapter in Python as I am unfamiliar with writing C code for Python. Are there any thoughts where such an adapter would be placed, e.g. in lib.extras

lib.extras is the current kitchen sink and contains all the extra data
types. I'm toying with the idea of reorganizing the package submodules
but this will come later.

-- Daniele