Re: 'text' instead of 'unknown' in Postgres 10

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'text' instead of 'unknown' in Postgres 10
Date: 2017-02-13 13:37:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:09 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2/7/17 9:16 AM, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for the clarification: I will assume the behaviour cannot be
>> maintained on PG 10 and think whether the treatment of '{}' is too
>> magical and drop it instead.
>

> BTW, I would hope that passing '{}' into a defined array field still works,
> since an empty array isn't treated the same as NULL, which means you need
> some way to create an empty array.

Yes, that didn't change. The issue was only reading data from postgres
to python.

There is a beta of next psycopg version available on testpypi which
implements the new behaviour, if you want to take a look at it. You
can use

pip install -i https://testpypi.python.org/pypi psycopg2==2.7b1

to install it.

-- Daniele