Waiting for Psycopg 3.2

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Psycopg <psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Waiting for Psycopg 3.2
Date: 2024-04-11 07:56:22
Lists: psycopg

Hello list!

There is currently a flurry of activities around the Psycopg 3 repository,
motivated especially by the PostgreSQL 17 feature freeze, whose libpq
exposes a set of features which turned out very useful.

Therefore, after a round of merging and some scheduled refactoring [1], we
should be able to merge a version 3.2. We have gathered a considerable list
of features [2] and we are looking forward to releasing them. Some of the
highlights are:

- support for numpy scalars,
- an easier to use notifications generator,
- support for asynchronous and safe cancel,
- prepared statements compatible with PgBouncer.

One notable absent from the list of features scheduled for release is the
numpy arrays adaptation. I have always thought that it would be natural to
have such feature... but fundamentally nobody ever voiced a need for it.
Therefore I prefer to postpone it to a later time [3] and not delay the
release further.

In order to reduce the maintenance chore, we have developed a system to
generate the synchronous code from the AST of the async code. If anyone has
a similar need, maintaining a codebase in both sync and async variants,
they are welcome to take a look [4] and lift whatever useful.

Feedback about the upcoming release is welcome! In the meantime I'd like to
thank our <https://www.psycopg.org/sponsors/> and everyone who has
contributed ideas, reports, code, in particular Denis "@dlax" Laxalde who
has brought plenty of ideas and good code.

I am looking forward to get back with news of a final 3.2 release in a few
weeks time. In the meantime, happy hacking!

-- Daniele

[1] https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg/milestone/5
[2] https://www.psycopg.org/psycopg3/docs/news.html#psycopg-3-2-unreleased
[3] https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg/issues/336