Releasing Linux binary packages of psycopg

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org" <psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Releasing Linux binary packages of psycopg
Date: 2017-01-04 14:37:46
Lists: psycopg

Hello,

I'm testing with the generation of "manylinux" packages for psycopg2.
This means it is a binary distribution including all the libs (libpq,
ldap, ssl, kerberos...) that can be installed on any Linux platform
without the need of a C compiler, a system libpq, pg_config in the
path, and all the other support libraries.

The distribution is currently available on the test pypi:
https://testpypi.python.org/pypi/psycopg2/2.7.dev0 It should be
possible to install it using:

pip install -i https://testpypi.python.org/pypi psycopg2

The main libraries version included are libpq from PG 9.5.5, libssl
0.9.8e: I think they are modern enough but I'd be glad to know
otherwise. (The manylinux build system is limited to what can be
installed on CentOS 5).

If you can test the packages on your most stripped-down Linux version
that'd be great. Thank you very much!

-- Daniele