Re: Participate in GCI as a Mentor

From: Sarah Conway Schnurr <xenophenes42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tahir Ramzan <tahirramzan(at)alumni(dot)vu(dot)edu(dot)pk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Participate in GCI as a Mentor
Date: 2018-09-26 17:29:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tahir,

Thank you for spending time thinking of task ideas!

We are ideally attempting to think of tasks that could benefit PostgreSQL
as a whole either through code, outreach/advocacy, quality assurance, or
design based contributions, as that seems to be the trend for other tasks
submitted by open source organizations. Additionally, we'd like to avoid
comparison style tasks to prevent negative connotations or press around
PostgreSQL or competing databases.

As an alternative, could you perhaps write up some tasks around "Performing
and Documenting backing up a PostgreSQL instance"? There could be specific
unique tasks for each of the backup tools, such as pgBackRest, pg_dump,
pg_basebackup, pgBarman, wal-e, and wal-g. I would write up the
requirements as being "Write up a 1000 word (minimum) essay" and
"include a paragraph
explaining in which situation the tool you're working with would be best
suited".

It would most likely fall under the "Research" or "Documentation"
categories, for researching and documenting their steps taken.

Following that, you could add in additional unique tasks for similar ideas,
such as:

- "Write up a new user guide for pgBackRest based on a s3 backup
architecture."
- "Compose a cheat sheet for backing up and restoring a PostgreSQL
instance using X backup tool."
- "Create well-designed online graphical resources / cheat sheets for
common PostgreSQL operations for the Online Resources
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/online-resources/> page on
PostgreSQL.org."
- "Create a video tutorial explaining how to backup and restore a
PostgreSQL instance using X backup tool."
- "Create a video tutorial explaining how to upgrade a PostgreSQL
instance from 9.6 to 10."

Thank you!

--
Sarah Conway Schnurr