Re: Issues of slow running queries when dealing with Big Data

From: Shaozhong SHI <shishaozhong(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
Cc: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issues of slow running queries when dealing with Big Data
Date: 2020-07-28 23:00:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 22:43, Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com> wrote:

> Many thanks. Is this way correct? I am learning what is meant by 'top
>> posting'.
>>

> Yes.
>
> On the subject of your settings, I don't see anything for work_mem,
> random_page_cost and other commonly tuned parameters. That would be a good
> start. What sort of machine specs are there for Postgres instance? Cpu,
> ram, disk type (spinning disk, ssd, etc)? Are any other applications
> running on this machine?
>
> Do you have an example query and explain analyze output? Are you aware of
> https://explain.depesz.com/ ?

Hi, Michael,

Many thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I do not know the
machine specs myself. We have an IT person who helps my team.

As I understand, he is building a new PostGIS on Azure for us. I will ask
him.

I would like to understand the matter much better for various reasons. If
you are aware of technical papers or articles on the subject, it will be
useful to me.

I have been discussing the matter with another manager. I am also thinking
about how to frame up a project as a formal project for the IT person. If
you have ideas, please let me know. Basically, approaches and methods,
areas to be investigated for tuning up performance. So that, I can pass
the information to him. He is technically excellent, but has not got much
experience in turning PostGIS for improving performance.

I need to do such type of work, in order to not only solve the problem, but
provide justifications to secure his job.

I hope that you understand.

Regards,

Shao