Re: Large files for relations

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large files for relations
Date: 2023-05-13 00:48:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 11:01 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 4:41 AM MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > use XFS and O_DIRECT

As for direct I/O, we're only just getting started on that. We
currently can't produce more than one concurrent WAL write, and then
for relation data, we just got very basic direct I/O support but we
haven't yet got the asynchronous machinery to drive it properly (work
in progress, more soon). I was just now trying to find out what the
state of parallel direct writes is in ext4, and it looks like it's
finally happening:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.3-EXT4