Re: Requiring LLVM 14+ in PostgreSQL 18

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Requiring LLVM 14+ in PostgreSQL 18
Date: 2024-04-11 02:16:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 1:38 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Therefore, some time after the tree re-opens for hacking, we could rip
> out a bunch of support code for LLVM 10-13, and then rip out support
> for pre-opaque-pointer mode. Please see attached.

... or of course closer to the end of the cycle if that's what people
prefer for some reason, I don't mind too much as long as it happens.

I added this to the commitfest app, and it promptly failed for cfbot.
That's expected: CI is still using Debian 11 "bullseye", which only
has LLVM 11. It became what Debian calls "oldstable" last year, and
reaches the end of oldstable in a couple of months from now. Debian
12 "bookworm" is the current stable release, and it has LLVM 14, so we
should probably go and update those CI images...