Re: ICU for global collation

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marius Timmer <marius(dot)timmer(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Arne Scheffer <scheffa(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>
Subject: Re: ICU for global collation
Date: 2019-10-17 02:52:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:16 AM Marius Timmer
<marius(dot)timmer(at)uni-muenster(dot)de> wrote:
> like the others before me we (the university of Münster) are happy to
> see this feature as well. Thank you this.
>
> When I applied the patch two weeks ago I run into the issue that initdb
> did not recognize the new parameters (collation-provider and icu-locale)
> but I guess it was caused by my own stupidity.
>
> > When trying databases defined with ICU locales, I see that backends
> > that serve such databases seem to have their LC_CTYPE inherited from
> > the environment (as opposed to a per-database fixed value).
> I am able to recreate the issue described by Daniel on my machine.
>
> Now it works as expected. I just had to update the patch since commit
> 3f6b3be3 had modified two lines which resulted in conflicts. You find
> the updated patch as attachement to this mail.

I rebased this patch, and tweaked get_collation_action_version() very
slightly so that you get collation version change detection (of the
ersatz kind provided by commit d5ac14f9) for the default collation
even when not using ICU. Please see attached.

+struct pg_locale_struct global_locale;

Why not "default_locale"? Where is the terminology "global" coming from?

+ Specifies the collation provider for the database.

"for the database's default collation"?

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Add-option-to-use-ICU-as-global-collation-provide.patch application/octet-stream 43.9 KB