Re: pgsql: pg_collation_actual_version() -> pg_collation_current_version().

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: pg_collation_actual_version() -> pg_collation_current_version().
Date: 2021-02-26 03:13:54
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 10:49 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
> Seeing that explanation, I think that's even more of a reason to avoid
> the name "current" and use something strikingly different.
>
> In any case, this function name has been around for some years now and
> renaming it just for taste reasons seems unnecessary.

I guess my unspoken assumption was that anyone using this in a query
is probably comparing it with collversion and thus already has a query
that needs to be rewritten for v14, and therefore it's not a bad time
to clean up some naming. But that argument is moot if you don't even
agree that the new name's an improvement, so... reverted.