Re: pg_tablespace_location() failure with allow_in_place_tablespaces

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_tablespace_location() failure with allow_in_place_tablespaces
Date: 2022-03-17 03:34:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 3:53 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 05:15:58PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > I'm not sure that the "of the symbolic link in pg_tblspc/" is
> > needed. And allow_in_place_tablespaces alone doesn't create in-place
> > tablespace. So this might need rethink at least for the second point.
>
> Surely this can be improved. I was not satisfied with this paragraph
> after re-reading it this morning, so I have just removed it, rewording
> slightly the part for in-place tablespaces that is still necessary.

+ <para>
+ A relative path to the data directory is returned for tablespaces
+ created when <xref linkend="guc-allow-in-place-tablespaces"/> is
+ enabled.
+ </para>
+ </entry>

I think what Horiguchi-san was pointing out above is that you need to
enable the GUC *and* say LOCATION '', which the new paragraph doesn't
capture. What do you think about this:

A path relative to the data directory is returned for in-place
tablespaces (see <xref ...>).