Re: BUG #17928: Standby fails to decode WAL on termination of primary

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17928: Standby fails to decode WAL on termination of primary
Date: 2023-08-18 02:30:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 03:17:58PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > As a whole, I find that pretty cool. Not sure if I would backpatch
> > the test, so my opinion would be to use that on HEAD and let it
> > stabilize there.
>
> Thomas, is there anything I can do to help with this patch and make it
> move on?

Give me a couple of days and I'll look into how back-patchable the
tests can be made, and see what else we can test. Perhaps it's not
strictly necessary to back-patch the fix further than 15, but I think
we should definitely consider it, and I don't like the idea of not
having the tests accompanying the change.

If you have any ideas about how to write a more efficient version of
advance_to_record_splitting_zone() (or I guess that should really be
advance_to_record_header_splitting_zone()), and generally how to make
the perl better, and how to get those constants we need from the
source or binaries, then I'm all ears.