Re: BUG #15793: Required Community Version Installs not the customized EnterpriseDB one.

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: BUG #15793: Required Community Version Installs not the customized EnterpriseDB one.
Date: 2019-05-08 00:17:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 2:44 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> * PG Bug reporting form (noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org) wrote:
> > Why the Postgres provides only windows installer certified by EnterpriseDB??
> > Is there any way i can get the Community version installer for windows?
>
> Great question. Unfortunately, there isn't actually a "community
> installer for Windows" currently today. You can download the source
> code for PostgreSQL and then compile it yourself, instructions for that
> are available here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-windows.html
>
> There are also some other commercial organizations which provide Windows
> builds of open source PostgreSQL for their clients.

I'm not a Windows users and know very little about it, but Chocolatey
seems to be a leading package manager and distribution on Windows (for
example on cfbot.cputube.org I use it to install bison etc when
testing PostgreSQL code for CI, based on clues from Andrew Dunstan).
Sure enough, they seem to package PostgreSQL:

https://chocolatey.org/packages/postgresql

At a guess, I'd say the PostgreSQL community is unlikely to ever
provide an official "installer" (meaning stand-alone graphical
executable installer), but I suspect that projects like Chocolatey are
probably a reasonable way to consume it if (like me) you hate
"installers" and you just want the straight PostgreSQL code + minimal
packaging to make it deal with minor upgrades in a coherent fashion
and share libraries coherently with other packages on your system.
That said, I haven't ever tried to use that and have no idea how well
it works.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com