Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows.

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Victor Spirin <v(dot)spirin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows.
Date: 2022-10-18 21:05:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 10:40 AM Victor Spirin <v(dot)spirin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> Updated patch: we use the posix semantic features in Windows build 17763
> and up.
> We found an issue with this feature on Windows Server 2016 without
> updates (Windows 1607 Build 14393)

Hi Victor,

I rebased and simplified this, and added a lot of tests to be able to
understand what it does. I think all systems that didn't have this
are now EOL and we don't need to support them in PG16, but perhaps our
_WIN32_WINNT is not quite high enough (this requires Win10 RS1, which
itself was EOL'd in 2019); the main question I have now is what
happens when you run this on non-NTFS filesystems, and whether we want
to *require* this to work because the non-POSIX support will probably
finish up untested. I posted all that over on a new thread where I am
tidying up lots of related stuff, and I didn't want to repost the
proposed testing framework in multiple threads...

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKG%2BajSQ_8eu2AogTncOnZ5me2D-Cn66iN_-wZnRjLN%2Bicg%40mail.gmail.com