Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows.

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Victor Spirin <v(dot)spirin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows.
Date: 2021-12-10 04:23:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 1:43 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> This is a large bump for Studio >= 2015 I am afraid. That does not
> seem acceptable, as it means losing support for GetLocaleInfoEx()
> across older versions.

Playing the devil's advocate here: why shouldn't we routinely drop
support for anything that'll be EOL'd when a given PostgreSQL major
release ships? The current policy seems somewhat extreme in the other
direction: our target OS baseline is a contemporary of RHEL 2 or 3 and
Linux 2.4.x, and our minimum compiler is a contemporary of GCC 3.x.

Something EOL'd over a year ago that has a bunch of features we've
really always wanted, like Unix domain sockets and Unix link
semantics, seems like a reasonable choice to me... hypothetical users
who refuse to upgrade or buy the extreme long life support options
just can't upgrade to PostgreSQL 15 until they upgrade their OS.
What's wrong with that? I don't think PostgreSQL 15 should support
FreeBSD 6, RHEL 4 or AT&T Unix Release 1 either.