Re: Parallel query hangs after a smart shutdown is issued

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Arseny Sher <a(dot)sher(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Parallel query hangs after a smart shutdown is issued
Date: 2020-08-14 06:03:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 4:45 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Hmmm ... maybe that should be more like
> > if (smartShutState != SMART_NORMAL_USAGE &&
> > backend_type == BACKEND_TYPE_NORMAL)
>
> After some more rethinking and testing, here's a v5 that feels
> fairly final to me. I realized that the logic in canAcceptConnections
> was kind of backwards: it's better to check the main pmState restrictions
> first and then the smart-shutdown restrictions afterwards.

LGTM. I tested this a bit today and it did what I expected for
parallel queries and vacuum, on primary and standby.

> I'm assuming we want to back-patch this as far as 9.6, where parallel
> query began to be a thing.

Yeah. I mean, it's more radical than what I thought we'd be doing for
this, but you could get into real trouble by running in smart shutdown
mode without the autovac infrastructure alive.