Re: A test for replay of regression tests

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A test for replay of regression tests
Date: 2022-03-25 03:55:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 4:03 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> If you want to know whether or not the buildfarm will have problems
> due to VACUUM failing to get a cleanup lock randomly, then I suggest
> that you use an approach like the one from my patch here:
>
> https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzkiB-qcsBmWrpzP0nxvrQExoUts1d7TYShg_DrkOHeg4Q@mail.gmail.com
>
> I recently tried it again myself. With the gizmo in place the tests
> fail in exactly the same way you've had problems with on the
> buildfarm. On the first try, even.

Interesting. IIUC your chaos gizmo shows that particular vacuum test
still failing on master, but that wouldn't happen in real life because
since 383f2221 it's a temp table. Your gizmo should probably detect
temp rels, as your comment says. I was sort of thinking that perhaps
if DISABLE_PAGE_SKIPPING is eventually made to do what its name sounds
like it does, we could remove TEMP from that test and it'd still pass
with the gizmo...