Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date: 2022-11-28 06:10:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 6:27 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> This is just a first cut, but enough to try out and see if we like it,
> what needs to be improved, what edge cases we haven't thought about
> etc. Let me know what you think.

BTW one problem to highlight (mentioned but buried in the test
comments), is that REFRESH VERSION doesn't affect other sessions or
even the current session. You have to log out and back in again to
pick up the new version. Obviously that's not good enough, but fixing
that involves making it transactional, I think. If you abort, we have
to go back to using the old version, if you commit you keep the new
version and we might also consider telling other backends to start
using the new version -- or something like that. I think that's just
a Small Matter of Programming, but a little bit finickity and I need
to take a break for a bit and go work on bugs elsewhere, hence v8
didn't address that yet.