Re: A little report on informal commit tag usage

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A little report on informal commit tag usage
Date: 2019-07-15 05:49:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 5:12 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > 42 Doc

> [...] I see a lot more than 42 such commit messages in the past
> year, so not sure what you were counting?

I would have tried to exclude the first line messages if I'd thought
of that. But anyway, the reason for the low Doc number is case
sensitivity. I ran that on a Mac and its lame collation support failed
me in the "sort" step (also -i didn't do what I wanted, but that
wasn't the issue). Trying again on FreeBSD box and explicitly setting
LANG for the benefit of anyone else wanting to run this (see end), and
then removing a few obvious false matches, I now get similar numbers
in most fields but a higher "doc" number:

767 Author
9 Authors
144 Backpatch-through
55 Backpatch