Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Asim R P <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: Cleaning up orphaned files using undo logs
Date: 2019-06-14 02:55:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 3:00 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 5:35 AM Asim R P <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io> wrote:
> > My understanding is smgr pendingDeletes infrastructure will be replaced by these patches. I still see CommitTransaction() calling smgrDoPendingDeletes() in the latest patch set. Am I missing something?

> Thanks for looking at the patch.

Hello,

Here is a new rebased version of the full patch set for orphaned file
cleanup. The orphaned file cleanup code itself hasn't changed but
there are some changes in lower down patches:

* getting rid of more global variables, instead using eg
CurrentSession->attached_undo_logs (the session.h infrastructure that
is intended to avoid creating more multithreading-hostile code)

* using undo log "slots" in various APIs to make it clearer that slots
can be recycled, which has locking implications, plus several locking
bug fixes that motivated that change

* current versions of the record and worker code discussed upthread by
Amit and others

The code is also at https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/zheap/tree/undo
and includes patches from
https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/zheap/tree/undoprocessing and
https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/zheap/tree/undo_interface_v1 where
some parts of this stack (workers etc) are being developed.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
undo-20190614.tgz application/x-gzip 170.5 KB