Re: Finding cause of test fails on the cfbot site

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finding cause of test fails on the cfbot site
Date: 2021-02-19 22:33:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:31 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Here is another related question about the cfbot error reporting -
>
> The main cfbot "status page" [1] still shows a couple of fails for the
> 32/2914 (for freebsd & linux). But looking more closely, those fails
> are not from the latest run. e.g. I also found this execution
> "history" page [2] for our patch which shows the most recent run was
> ok for commit a7e715.
>
> ~~
>
> So it seems like there is some kind of rule that says the main status
> page will still indicate "recent* errors (even if the latest execution
> was ok)...

Hmmph. It seems like there is indeed some kind of occasional glitch,
possible a bug in my code for picking up statuses from Cirrus through
their GraphQL API (that's a recent thing; we had to change providers
due to another CI's policy changes in January, and apparently
something in the new pipeline isn't quite fully baked). Will look
into that this weekend. Sorry about that, and thanks for letting me
know.

> IIUC that explains the difference between a hollow red 'X' (old fail)
> and a solid red 'X' fail (new fail)? And I am guessing if our patch
> continues to work ok (for how long?) then that hollow red 'X' may
> morph into a solid green 'tick' (when the old fail becomes too old to
> care about anymore)?
>
> But those are just my guesses based on those icon tooltips. What
> *really* are the rules for those main page status indicators, and how
> long do the old failure icons linger around before changing to success
> icons? (Apologies if a legend for those icons is already described
> somewhere - I didn't find it).

Yeah, I will try to clarify the UI a bit...