Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query execution in Perl TAP tests needs work
Date: 2023-08-29 04:25:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 1:48 PM Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> https://github.com/cpan-authors/IPC-Run/issues/166#issuecomment-1288190929

Interesting. But that shows a case with no pipes connected, using
select() as a dumb sleep and ignoring SIGCHLD. In our usage we have
pipes connected, and I think select() should return when the child's
output pipes become readable due to EOF. I guess something about that
might be b0rked on Windows? I see there is an extra helper process
doing socket<->pipe conversion (hah, that explains an extra ~10ms at
the start in my timestamps)... I can't really follow that code, but
perhaps the parent forgot to close the far end of the socket pair, so
there is no EOF?