Re: Isolation tests vs. SERIALIZABLE isolation level

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Isolation tests vs. SERIALIZABLE isolation level
Date: 2021-06-15 02:50:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 2:09 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> * Do we still care about that policy?

> * If so, who's going to fix the above-listed problems?

> * Should we try to get some routine testing of this case
> in place?

I wondered the same in commit 37929599 (the same problem for
src/test/regress, which now passes but only in master, not the back
branches). I doubt it will find real bugs very often, and I doubt
many people would enjoy the slowdown if it were always on, but it
might make sense to have something like PG_TEST_EXTRA that can be used
to run the tests at all three levels, and then turn that on in a few
strategic places like CI and a BF animal or two.