Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2021-11-18 20:44:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 8:23 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> On 2021-11-15 14:11:25 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > (In fact, unless somebody renews fossa/husky's
> > icc license, the three xlc animals will be an outright majority of
> > them, because wrasse and anole are the only other active animals with
> > non-mainstream compilers.)
>
> It should probably be doable to get somebody to run another icc animal. Icc is
> supported by meson, fwiw.

FWIW, in case someone is interested in bringing ICC back to the farm,
some light googling tells me that newer editions of "classic" ICC (as
opposed to "data parallel" ICC, parts of some kind of rebrand) no
longer require regular licence bureaucracy, and can be installed in
modern easier to maintain ways. For example, I see that some people
add Intel's APT repository and apt-get install the compiler inside CI
jobs, on Ubuntu.