Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 04:14:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 3:16 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes. You can
> see them here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
>
> It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting. The community doc
> build should happen in a few hours.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks! Some feedback:

+2020-04-08 [3985b600f] Support PrefetchBuffer() in recovery.
+-->
+
+<para>
+Speedup recovery by prefetching pages (Thomas Munro)

Unfortunately that commit was just an infrastructural change to allow
the PrefetchBuffer() function to work in recovery, but the main
"prefetching during recovery" patch to actually make use of it to go
faster didn't make it. So this item shouldn't be in the release
notes.

+2020-04-07 [4c04be9b0] Introduce xid8-based functions to replace txid_XXX.
+-->
+
+<para>
+Update all transaction id functions to support xid8 (Thomas Munro)
+</para>
+
+<para>
+They use the same names as the xid data type versions.
+</para>

The names are actually different. How about: "New xid8-based
functions replace the txid family of functions, but the older names
are still supported for backward compatibility."

+2019-10-16 [d5ac14f9c] Use libc version as a collation version on glibc systems
+-->
+
+<para>
+Use the glibc version as the collation version (Thomas Munro)
+</para>
+
+<para>
+If the glibc version changes, a warning will be issued when a
mismatching collation is used.
+</para>

I would add a qualifier "in some cases", since it doesn't work for
default collations yet. (That'll now have to wait for 14).