Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - implement strict TPC-B benchmark
Date: 2019-07-14 03:03:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 3:58 AM Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
> The attached patch does $SUBJECT, as a showcase for recently added
> features, including advanced expressions (CASE...), \if, \gset, ending SQL
> commands at ";"...

Hi Fabien,

+ the account branch has a 15% probability to be in the same branch
as the teller (unless

I would say "... has a 15% probability of being in the same ...". The
same wording appears further down in the comment.

I see that the parameters you propose match the TPCB 2.0
description[1], and the account balance was indeed supposed to be
returned to the driver. I wonder if "strict" is the right name here
though. "tpcb-like-2" at least leaves room for someone to propose yet
another variant, and still includes the "-like" disclaimer, which I
interpret as a way of making it clear that this benchmark and results
produced by it have no official TPC audited status.

> There is also a small fix to the doc which describes the tpcb-like
> implementation but gets one variable name wrong: balance -> delta.

Agreed. I committed that part. Thanks!

[1] http://www.tpc.org/tpcb/spec/tpcb_current.pdf

--
Thomas Munro