Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date: 2024-03-20 01:12:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 12:54 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> So this would truncate the process title on all Linux that have an LD_
> environment entry, even those without musl?

Yep. How long is /proc/XXX/cmdline (check with wc -c /proc/...) in a
postmaster near you? You'd always get that much, plus as much of
/proc/XXX/environ as we can find before you reach LD_XXX=, which on a
typical system would, I guess, usually be never. If it's a problem
you could try to arrange for LD_ XXX to come later in environ[]. What
I observe is that they seem to get copied in backwards, wrt the
environment exported by the parent, so if you set DUMMY=XXXXXXXX just
before starting the process it'll make sacrificial space in the right
place (but I'm not sure where that effect is coming from so don't
quote me).