Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commitfest 2023-03 starting tomorrow!
Date: 2023-03-20 00:05:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:13 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I realised that part of Alvaro's complaint was probably caused by
> cfbot's refusal to show any useful information just because it
> couldn't apply a patch the last time it tried. A small improvement
> today: now it shows a ♲ symbol (with hover text "Rebase needed") if it
> doesn't currently apply, but you can still see the most recent CI test
> results. And from there you can find your way to the parent commit
> ID.

And in the cases where it still shows no results, that'd be because
the patch set hasn't successfully applied in the past 46 days, ie
since 1 Feb, when cfbot started retaining history. That visible
amnesia should gradually disappear as those patches make progress and
the history window expands. I suppose then someone might complain
that it should be clearer if a patch hasn't applied for a very long
time; suggestions for how to show that are welcome. I wondered about
making them gradually fade out to white, ghost memories that
eventually disappear completely after a few commitfests :-D