Re: GROUP BY DISTINCT

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)protonmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: GROUP BY DISTINCT
Date: 2021-03-18 21:57:13
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:14 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >> The only possibility I can think of is some sort of issue in the old-ish
> >> gcc release (4.7.2).
> >
> > No sure what's going on there, but data points: I tried a 32 bit build
> > here (that's the other special thing about lapwing) and didn't see the
> > warning. GCC 10. Also curculio (gcc 4.2) and snapper (gcc 4.7) are
> > also showing this warning, but they don't have -Werror so they don't
> > fail. sidewinder (gcc 4.8) is not showing the warning.
> >

> Thanks for the info. So it's likely related to older gcc releases. The
> question is how to tweak the code to get rid of this ...

It's frustrating to have to do press-ups to fix a problem because a
zombie Debian 7 system is running with -Werror (though it's always
possible that it's telling us something interesting...). Anyway, I
think someone with a GCC < 4.8 compiler would have to investigate. I
was hoping to help, but none of my systems have one in easy-to-install
format...