Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2021-11-15 22:08:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 8:23 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> On 2021-11-15 14:11:25 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Having said that, I don't plan to be the one trying to get meson
> > to add xlc support ...
>
> It'd probably not be too hard. But given that it's quite hard to get access to
> AIX + xlc, I'm not sure it's something I want to propose. There's no resources
> to run halfway regular tests on that I found...

FWIW there's a free-as-in-beer edition of xlc for Linux (various
distros, POWER only) so you could use qemu, though of course there
will be differences WRT AIX especially around linking, and I suppose a
big part of that work would be precisely understanding stuff like
linker details.

It looks like we have two xlc 12.1 compilers in the farm, but those
compilers are EOL'd[1]. The current release is 16.1, and we have one
of those. The interesting thing about 16.1 is that you can invoke it
as xlclang to get the new clang frontend and, I think, possibly use
more clang/gcc-ish compiler switches[2].

[1] https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/lifecycle/search?q=xl%20c%2Fc%2B%2B
[2] https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/xl-c-and-cpp-aix/16.1?topic=new-clang-based-front-end