Re: warning to publication created and wal_level is not set to logical

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Lucas Viecelli <lviecelli199(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: warning to publication created and wal_level is not set to logical
Date: 2019-07-08 03:04:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 1:36 AM Lucas Viecelli <lviecelli199(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Oh, OK, then this seems like it's basically covered already. I think
>> the original suggestion to add a WARNING during CREATE PUBLICATION
>> isn't unreasonable. But we don't need to do more than that (and it
>> shouldn't be higher than WARNING).
>
> Okay, I think it will improve understanding of new users.
>
> Since everything is fine, thank you all for the comments

Hi Lucas,

The July Commitfest has started. This patch is in "Needs review"
status, but it doesn't apply. If I read the above discussion
correctly, it seems there is agreement that a warning here is a good
idea to commit this patch. Could you please post a rebased patch?

A note on the message:

WARNING: `PUBLICATION` created but wal_level `is` not set to logical,
you need to change it before creating any SUBSCRIPTION

I wonder if it would be more typical project style to put the clue on
what to do into an "errhint" message, something like this:

WARNING: insufficient wal_level to publish logical changes
HINT: Set wal_level to logical before creating subscriptions.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com