Re: MacPorts support for "extra" tests

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MacPorts support for "extra" tests
Date: 2019-03-25 22:45:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 4:39 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Peter E added some nice tests for LDAP and Kerberos, but they assume
> > you have Homebrew when testing on a Mac. Here's a patch to make them
> > work with MacPorts too (a competing open source port/package
> > distribution that happens to be the one that I use). The third
> > "extra" test is ssl, but that was already working.
>
> +1, but could we comment that a bit? I'm thinking of something like
>
> # typical library location for Homebrew
>
> in each of the if-branches.

Pushed.

I tried half-heartedly to understand why Apple's /usr/libexec/slapd
doesn't work for our tests. I noticed that is does actually start up
and run in the foreground if you use -d 255 (= debug level), and
prints similar debug output to upstream slapd, but it complains about
TLS stuff that AFAIK it should be happy with. Perhaps it wants to do
TLS stuff via the Apple keychain technology? Without the debug switch
it doesn't launch at all (making -d a bit of a heisendebug level if
you ask me), while upstream slapd double-forks a daemon, and that's
the first thing stopping our test from working (though of course the
TLS stuff would be the next problem). One magical thing about it is
that it's one of those signed executables that won't let you dtruss it
unless you disable SIP. I wonder if that's relevant. Anyway, I frown
in the general direction of California, and hereby give up.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com