Re: Partial update on an postgres upsert violates constraint

From: Andreas Terrius <gotenwinz99(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Kim Rose Carlsen <krc(at)hiper(dot)dk>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partial update on an postgres upsert violates constraint
Date: 2016-11-21 10:32:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there any way to check whether the row already exists before checking
constraints ? I still want it to fail if it turns out to be a new row
(which would violate the not null constraint), but updates the row if it
already exists.

Since if that is not possible, I would need to do a query to determine
whether the row exists in the database which kinda eliminates the use of
upsert. (in this case, partial upsert).