Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

From: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Muhammad Usama <m(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ildar Musin <ildar(at)adjust(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date: 2020-09-11 11:06:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 11:58, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2020/09/11 0:37, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 13:00, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
> > <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> >>
> >> From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> >>
> >> I'm really sorry I've been getting late and late and latex10 to publish the revised scale-out design wiki to discuss the big picture! I don't know why I'm taking this long time; I feel I were captive in a time prison (yes, nobody is holding me captive; I'm just late.) Please wait a few days.
> >>
> >> But to proceed with the development, let me comment on the atomic commit and global visibility.
> >>
> >> * We have to hear from Andrey about their check on the possibility that Clock-SI could be Microsoft's patent and if we can avoid it.
> >>
> >> * I have a feeling that we can adopt the algorithm used by Spanner, CockroachDB, and YugabyteDB. That is, 2PC for multi-node atomic commit, Paxos or Raft for replica synchronization (in the process of commit) to make 2PC more highly available, and the timestamp-based global visibility. However, the timestamp-based approach makes the database instance shut down when the node's clock is distant from the other nodes.
> >>
> >> * Or, maybe we can use the following Commitment ordering that doesn't require the timestamp or any other information to be transferred among the cluster nodes. However, this seems to have to track the order of read and write operations among concurrent transactions to ensure the correct commit order, so I'm not sure about the performance. The MVCO paper seems to present the information we need, but I haven't understood it well yet (it's difficult.) Could you anybody kindly interpret this?
> >>
> >> Commitment ordering (CO) - yoavraz2
> >> https://sites.google.com/site/yoavraz2/the_principle_of_co
> >>

> >> As for the Sawada-san's 2PC patch, which I find interesting purely as FDW enhancement, I raised the following issues to be addressed:
> >>
> >> 1. Make FDW API implementable by other FDWs than postgres_fdw (this is what Amit-san kindly pointed out.) I think oracle_fdw and jdbc_fdw would be good examples to consider, while MySQL may not be good because it exposes the XA feature as SQL statements, not C functions as defined in the XA specification.
> >
> > I agree that we need to verify new FDW APIs will be suitable for other
> > FDWs than postgres_fdw as well.
> >

> >> 2. 2PC processing is queued and serialized in one background worker. That severely subdues transaction throughput. Each backend should perform 2PC.
> >
> > Not sure it's safe that each backend perform PREPARE and COMMIT
> > PREPARED since the current design is for not leading an inconsistency
> > between the actual transaction result and the result the user sees.
>
> Can I check my understanding about why the resolver process is necessary?

> [...]

Yes, I'm on the same page about all the above explanations.

The resolver process has two functionalities: resolving foreign
transactions automatically when the user issues COMMIT (the case you
described in the second paragraph), and resolving foreign transaction
when the corresponding backend no longer exist or when the server
crashes during in the middle of 2PC (described in the third
paragraph).

Considering the design without the resolver process, I think we can
easily replace the latter with the manual resolution. OTOH, it's not
easy for the former. I have no idea about better design for now,
although, as you described, if we could ensure that the process
doesn't raise an error during resolving foreign transactions after
committing the local transaction we would not need the resolver
process.

Or the second idea would be that the backend commits only the local
transaction then returns the acknowledgment of COMMIT to the user
without resolving foreign transactions. Then the user manually
resolves the foreign transactions by, for example, using the SQL
function pg_resolve_foreign_xact() within a separate transaction. That
way, even if an error occurred during resolving foreign transactions
(i.g., executing COMMIT PREPARED), it’s okay as the user is already
aware of the local transaction having been committed and can retry to
resolve the unresolved foreign transaction. So we won't need the
resolver process while avoiding such inconsistency.

But a drawback would be that the transaction commit doesn't ensure
that all foreign transactions are completed. The subsequent
transactions would need to check if the previous distributed
transaction is completed to see its results. I’m not sure it’s a good
design in terms of usability.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/