Re: pg_stat_statements issue with parallel maintenance (Was Re: WAL usage calculation patch)

From: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_statements issue with parallel maintenance (Was Re: WAL usage calculation patch)
Date: 2020-03-30 06:46:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 20:44, Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 20:15, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 1:44 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > As I just mentioned, (2) seems like a better design as it's quite
> > > likely that the number of parallel-aware utilities will probably
> > > continue to increase. One problem also is that parallel CREATE INDEX
> > > has been introduced in pg11, so (2) probably won't be packpatchable
> > > (and (1) seems problematic too).
> > >

> > I am not sure if we can decide at this stage whether it is
> > back-patchable or not. Let's first see the patch and if it turns out
> > to be complex, then we can try to do some straight-forward fix for
> > back-branches.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > In general, I don't see why the fix here should be
> > complex?
>
> Yeah, particularly the approach (1) will not be complex. I'll write a
> patch tomorrow.

I've attached two patches fixing this issue for parallel index
creation and parallel vacuum. These approaches take the same approach;
we allocate DSM to share buffer usage and the leader gathers them,
described as approach (1) above. I think this is a straightforward
approach for this issue. We can create a common entry point for
parallel maintenance command that is responsible for gathering buffer
usage as well as sharing query text etc. But it will accompany
relatively big change and it might be overkill at this stage. We can
discuss that and it will become an item for PG14.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
bufferusage_vacuum.patch application/octet-stream 4.4 KB
bufferusage_create_index.patch application/octet-stream 4.5 KB