Re: Race condition in SyncRepGetSyncStandbysPriority

From: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Race condition in SyncRepGetSyncStandbysPriority
Date: 2020-03-31 14:16:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 13:54, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:

> [...]
> > hoverfly is hitting the blatantly-obvious race condition in that function.
> > Namely, that the second loop supposes that the state of the walsender
> > array hasn't changed since the first loop.
> >
> > The minimum fix for this, I suppose, would have the first loop capture
> > the sync_standby_priority value for each walsender along with what it's
> > already capturing. But I wonder if the whole function shouldn't be
> > rewritten from scratch, because it seems like the algorithm is both
> > expensively brute-force and unintelligible, which is a sad combination.
> > It's likely that the number of walsenders would never be high enough
> > that efficiency could matter, but then couldn't we use an algorithm
> > that is less complicated and more obviously correct?
>
> +1 to rewrite the function with better algorithm.
>
> > (Because the
> > alternative conclusion, if you reject the theory that a race is happening,
> > is that the algorithm is just flat out buggy; something that's not too
> > easy to disprove either.)
> >
> > Another fairly dubious thing here is that whether or not *am_sync
> > gets set depends not only on whether MyWalSnd is claiming to be
> > synchronous but on how many lower-numbered walsenders are too.
> > Is that really the right thing?
> >
> > But worse than any of that is that the return value seems to be
> > a list of walsender array indexes, meaning that the callers cannot
> > use it without making even stronger assumptions about the array
> > contents not having changed since the start of this function.
> >
> > It sort of looks like the design is based on the assumption that
> > the array contents can't change while SyncRepLock is held ... but
> > if that's the plan then why bother with the per-walsender spinlocks?
> > In any case this assumption seems to be failing, suggesting either
> > that there's a caller that's not holding SyncRepLock when it calls
> > this function, or that somebody is failing to take that lock while
> > modifying the array.
>
> As far as I read the code, that assumption seems still valid. But the problem
> is that each walsender updates MyWalSnd->sync_standby_priority at each
> convenient timing, when SIGHUP is signaled. That is, at a certain moment,
> some walsenders (also their WalSnd entries in shmem) work based on
> the latest configuration but the others (also their WalSnd entries) work based
> on the old one.
>
> lowest_priority = SyncRepConfig->nmembers;
> next_highest_priority = lowest_priority + 1;
>
> SyncRepGetSyncStandbysPriority() calculates the lowest priority among
> all running walsenders as the above, by using the configuration info that
> this walsender is based on. But this calculated lowest priority would be
> invalid if other walsender is based on different (e.g., old) configuraiton.
> This can cause the (other) walsender to have lower priority than
> the calculated lowest priority and the second loop in
> SyncRepGetSyncStandbysPriority() to unexpectedly end.

I have the same understanding. Since sync_standby_priroity is
protected by SyncRepLock these values of each walsender are not
changed through two loops in SyncRepGetSyncStandbysPriority().
However, as Fujii-san already mentioned the true lowest priority can
be lower than lowest_priority, nmembers, when only part of walsenders
reloaded the configuration, which in turn could be the cause of
leaving entries in the pending list at the end of the function.

> Therefore, the band-aid fix seems to be to set the lowest priority to
> very large number at the beginning of SyncRepGetSyncStandbysPriority().

I think we can use max_wal_senders. And we can change the second loop
so that we exit from the function if the pending list is empty.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/