Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

From: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Muhammad Usama <m(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ildar Musin <ildar(at)adjust(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Date: 2020-06-05 09:45:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 12:46, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 12:02 PM Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 at 14:50, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >

> > > If the intention is to keep the first version simple, then why do we
> > > want to support any mode other than 'required'? I think it will limit
> > > its usage for the cases where 2PC can be used only when all FDWs
> > > involved support Prepare API but if that helps to keep the design and
> > > patch simpler then why not just do that for the first version and then
> > > extend it later. OTOH, if you think it will be really useful to keep
> > > other modes, then also we could try to keep those in separate patches
> > > to facilitate the review and discussion of the core feature.
> >
> > ‘disabled’ is the fundamental mode.

Oops, I wanted to say 'required' is the fundamental mode.

> > We also need 'disabled' mode,
> > otherwise existing FDW won't work.
> >

> IIUC, if foreign_twophase_commit is 'disabled', we don't use a
> two-phase protocol to commit distributed transactions, right? So, do
> we check this at the time of Prepare or Commit whether we need to use
> a two-phase protocol? I think this should be checked at prepare time.

When a client executes COMMIT to a distributed transaction, 2pc is
automatically, transparently used. In ‘required’ case, all involved
(and modified) foreign server needs to support 2pc. So if a
distributed transaction modifies data on a foreign server connected
via an existing FDW which doesn’t support 2pc, the transaction cannot
proceed commit, fails at pre-commit phase. So there should be two
modes: ‘disabled’ and ‘required’, and should be ‘disabled’ by default.

> + <para>
> + This parameter can be changed at any time; the behavior for any one
> + transaction is determined by the setting in effect when it commits.
> + </para>
>
> This is written w.r.t foreign_twophase_commit. If one changes this
> between prepare and commit, will it have any impact?

Since the distributed transaction commit automatically uses 2pc when
executing COMMIT, it's not possible to change foreign_twophase_commit
between prepare and commit. So I'd like to explain the case where a
user executes PREPARE and then COMMIT PREPARED while changing
foreign_twophase_commit.

PREPARE can run only when foreign_twophase_commit is 'required' (or
'prefer') and all foreign servers involved with the transaction
support 2pc. We prepare all foreign transactions no matter what the
number of servers and modified or not. If either
foreign_twophase_commit is 'disabled' or the transaction modifies data
on a foreign server that doesn't support 2pc, it raises an error. At
COMMIT (or ROLLBACK) PREPARED, similarly foreign_twophase_commit needs
to be set to 'required'. It raises an error if the distributed
transaction has a foreign transaction and foreign_twophase_commit is
'disabled'.

> > I was concerned that many FDW
> > plugins don't implement FDW transaction APIs yet when users start
> > using this feature. But it seems to be a good idea to move 'prefer'
> > mode to a separate patch while leaving 'required'. I'll do that in the
> > next version patch.
> >

> Okay, thanks. Please, see if you can separate out the documentation
> for that as well.
>
> Few other comments on v21-0003-Documentation-update:
> 1.
> + <entry></entry>
> + <entry>
> + Numeric transaction identifier with that this foreign transaction
> + associates
> + </entry>
>
> /with that this/with which this
>
> 2.
> + <entry>
> + The OID of the foreign server on that the foreign transaction
> is prepared
> + </entry>
>
> /on that the/on which the
>
> 3.
> + <entry><structfield>status</structfield></entry>
> + <entry></entry>
> + <entry>
> + Status of foreign transaction. Possible values are:
> + <itemizedlist>
> + <listitem>
> + <para>
> + <literal>initial</literal> : Initial status.
> + </para>
>
> What exactly "Initial status" means?

This part is out-of-date. Fixed.

> 4.
> + <entry><structfield>in_doubt</structfield></entry>
> + <entry></entry>
> + <entry>
> + If <literal>true</literal> this foreign transaction is
> in-doubt status and
> + needs to be resolved by calling <function>pg_resolve_fdwxact</function>
> + function.
> + </entry>
>
> It would be better if you can add an additional sentence to say when
> and or how can foreign transactions reach in-doubt state.
>
> 5.
> If <literal>N</literal> local transactions each
> + across <literal>K</literal> foreign server this value need to be set
>
> This part of the sentence can be improved by saying something like:
> "If a user expects N local transactions and each of those involves K
> foreign servers, this value..".

Thanks. I've incorporated all your comments.

I've attached the new version patch set. 0006 is a separate patch
which introduces 'prefer' mode to foreign_twophase_commit.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v22-0006-Add-prefer-mode-to-foreign_twophase_commit.patch application/octet-stream 12.3 KB
v22-0005-Add-regression-tests-for-foreign-twophase-commit.patch application/octet-stream 45.1 KB
v22-0004-postgres_fdw-supports-atomic-commit-APIs.patch application/octet-stream 48.0 KB
v22-0002-Support-atomic-commit-among-multiple-foreign-ser.patch application/octet-stream 186.1 KB
v22-0003-Documentation-update.patch application/octet-stream 39.1 KB
v22-0001-Keep-track-of-writing-on-non-temporary-relation.patch application/octet-stream 2.6 KB