Re: Improve handling of parameter differences in physical replication

From: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve handling of parameter differences in physical replication
Date: 2020-03-09 08:11:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 at 06:39, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2020-Feb-27, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > So this patch relaxes this a bit. Upon receipt of
> > XLOG_PARAMETER_CHANGE, we still check the settings but only issue a
> > warning and set a global flag if there is a problem. Then when we
> > actually hit the resource issue and the flag was set, we issue another
> > warning message with relevant information. Additionally, at that
> > point we pause recovery, so a hot standby remains usable.
>
> Hmm, so what is the actual end-user behavior? As I read the code, we
> first send the WARNING, then pause recovery until the user resumes
> replication; at that point we raise the original error.

I think after recovery is paused users will be better to restart the
server rather than resume the recovery. I agree with this idea but I'm
slightly concerned that users might not realize that recovery is
paused until they look at that line in server log or at
pg_stat_replication because the standby server is still functional. So
I think we can periodically send WARNING to inform user that we're
still waiting for parameter change and restart.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/