Pulling initial physical replication pg_basebackup from a downstream server

From: Scott Frazer <sfrazer(at)couponcabin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Pulling initial physical replication pg_basebackup from a downstream server
Date: 2018-04-25 14:52:47
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm changing out a data center and I need to setup a new replicated server.
The bandwidth speeds between the new data center and the master are slower
than the speeds between the new data center and the current replica.

Can I get the pg_base_backup from the current replica and then tell the new
server to connect to the master? Would I need to do anything special to
keep the master from discarding the transaction logs needed to come up to
speed?

Thanks!