Re: jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects

From: Jorge Solórzano <jorsol(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jdbc-42.1-4 drop of Compatible property and useObjects
Date: 2017-10-09 15:51:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Achilleas Mantzios <
achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello Jorge
>
> On 09/10/2017 18:20, Jorge Solórzano wrote:
>
> Hi Achilleas,
>
> There is no time frame of releases, but
> ​breaking changes can happen in major releases like 43.0.0, and that can
> be probably the next year
> , and even then, there nothing that stops you of still using 42.x.x, so I
> guess you have time to plan for a refactor of your code.
>
> Thanx for the info, we had problems with
> ​​
> postgresql-9.3-1101.jdbc4.jar against postgresql 10rc1 server, I guess we
> might have problems with 42 against 11 in the future? just a side
> question, why was the original naming scheme <pgsql version> dropped ? I
> mean 42 or 43 do not imply directly the version.

Sometimes PostgreSQL ​changes system catalogs between major versions, and
that is why we always suggest using the latest driver, it's doesn't
necessarily mean that there will be problems with 42 against 11 in the
future, in fact the current driver supports PostgreSQL versions from 8.2+,
which lead to confusing about what driver version to use... I suppose you
where using PostgreSQL 9.3 and that's why you where using
​postgresql-9.3-1101.jdbc4.jar when in fact a ​postgresql-9.4-1212.jar
could work just fine, as a side note the ​postgresql-9.4-1212.jar should
work with PostgreSQL 10 and it still have the compatible property.

For more info about the versioning change read the FAQ:
https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/faq.html#versioning