Re: High CPU load caused by the autovacuum launcher process

From: Deepak Goel <deicool(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High CPU load caused by the autovacuum launcher process
Date: 2018-06-08 08:38:20
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

I guess the Htop captured by you is for a particular instant. You will have
to record the cpu utilisation for a longer duration and then analyze.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 06/08/2018 02:24 AM, Owayss Kabtoul wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I ran into an issue where, on Postgres instances that have a very large
>> number of databases per cluster (~15K), the
>>

> I won't ask why there's a cluster with 15,000 databases...
>
> So auto-vacuum never really sleeps. Even changing the autovacuum_naptime
>> and setting it to a much higher value (from 1min to 50min) did not have any
>> effect at all. Both strace and the postgres logs showed a similar
>> behaviour: lots of reads to global.stat file and constantly iterating
>> through all the databases non-stop and executing autovacuum.
>>

>> Is there anything that I can do to minimize the CPU load impact that this
>> process is having?
>>

> What if you disable autovacuum and run it manually?
>
> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Deepak
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are
treated. Please consider stopping the cruelty by becoming a Vegan"

+91 73500 12833
deicool(at)gmail(dot)com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool